Friday, August 20, 2010

Tom & Huck - Part III {Dessert Table}


Dessert tables are all the rage now. And I'm in. I just love them. Amy Atlas is queen of the dessert table. For a reason. She does amazing things.

Kate brilliantly thought up the idea of a "pie" cake. A cake that looks like a pie. But it isn't. It's a cake. Got it?

At first I wasn't so sure. Seemed a bit too adult-like for a 1st birthday party. Shouldn't they have something cute and fun and little boyish? Well, yes, I thought. They should. And they did.

Enter the smash cake.


Whoever invented the smash cake idea was genius.

The boys' smash cakes were rafts, like Huck's. They were precious. And apparently they were mighty tasty. Are these looks of total and complete sugar comas or what?


Back to the pie cake.

It was a huckleberry pie. Of course. And it was AH-mazing!


I added mini pies to the table. Cherry, the hub's favorite, and apple. Because, well, it's all-American and I'm certain Tom & Huck ate apple pie. Right?



We threw in some cookies they more than likely loved - oatmeal raisin, peanut butter and sugar.

Alright. I more than likely love. Whatever. This is my party.


Then there was the candy. I was somewhat particular about the candy I added to the table. I wanted only candies that Mr. Olsen might have sold in his General Store on Little House on the Prairie. I did some research.

Seriously. I did!

Peppermint sticks, peanut butter sticks, lemon drops, peanut brittle and salt water taffy. Just so happens we vacationed near Chattanooga a few weeks before the party. We found ourselves in a little town called Chickamauga, Georgia. And they had a general store. With candy.

SCORE!


They had all the candies I was looking for plus a bonus. Lollipops. And not just regular 'ol lollipops. The coolest ones ever.


And now the pièce de résistance. The handmade burlap banner.

I have to give full and proper credit to two women - Nole over at Oh So Beautiful Paper for introducing me to these incredible creations and Amanda of Funkyshique for this gorgeousness.

Amanda handpainted the silhouette on the pennant between Happy and Birthday. She blew me away!

I want to hang this in their nursery year round. It pained me to wrap it oh-so-carefully back in the tissue paper and pack it away.

But it was the star of the dessert buffet.

Friendly reminder that all photo credit goes to Inga Finch Photography.

No comments: